Girlstart's mission is to increase girls’ interest and engagement in STEM through innovative, nationally-recognized informal STEM education programs.
Girlstart aspires to be the national leader in designing and implementing innovative, high quality informal STEM education programs that inspire girls to transform our world.
The world’s greatest challenges need new STEM ideas and insights. Half of the world’s potential ideamakers—women and girls—are discouraged from developing their ideas because of social bias or inequity. More girls with more ideas create more solutions.
Girlstart’s mission is to solve this.
We increase girls’ interest and engagement in STEM through innovative, nationally-recognized informal STEM education programs. By empowering more girls to continue STEM studies, we can help address our nation’s STEM workforce inequities and impact innovation and economic development in America and across the globe. To accomplish our mission, Girlstart develops and implements a range of innovative, research- and standards-based education and mentorship programs designed to promote girls’ early engagement and academic success in STEM, encourage girls' aspirations and persistence in STEM education and careers, and incubate a talented and diverse STEM workforce.
Our goals are to:
- Increase girls’ competency in conducting scientific investigations and critical thinking/reasoning.
- Increase girls’ facility and mastery in STEM skills.
- Increase girls’ confidence and interest in conducting STEM activities.
- Increase girls’ the understanding that there are multiple applications of STEM in everyday life.
- Increase girls’ awareness of STEM careers and interest in pursuing STEM electives, subjects, majors, and careers.
Girlstart cultivates a culture where risk is rewarded, curiosity is encouraged, and creativity is expected. As a result, Girlstart girls are connected, brave, and resilient. Girlstart makes girls more successful, and inspires them to take on the world’s greatest challenges.